Done to Death: A Performance to die for

This weekend’s spring play pays homage to the literary genre of mystery.

Students rehearse prior to this weekends mysterious spring play.

Students rehearse prior to this weekend’s “mysterious” spring play.

Ryan Mendoza, Staff Writer

Like mysteries? What about comedy? Just enjoy theater in general? Then come on down and see Done to Death.

Tonight, Friday, April 29, and Saturday, April 30 come to the auditorium and check out HEHS’s production of Done to Death. Admission is $5.00 and freshmen get in free with a valid ID.

The story goes that there are five famous mystery writers that are all brought together to write the script for a new TV show. They don’t get along at first and like to make fun of each other a lot. They start to come together, however, to solve the murder of the producer of their show.

There are a lot of expectations for opening night from both the actors and directors. (Besides the obvious that “People actually come.”) Such as people enjoying the humor the show has to offer.

“We hope for a lot of support from our fellow Hawks,” said Koryana Boyle and Miranda Crivlare, both actors.

“I expect that the audience will very thoroughly enjoy the show. The cast is focused on really nailing their characters, and I’m sure the audience will love it,” says Sam Martin, a HEHS alumnus who is working in the show as a director.

The set and costumes are beautiful and are sure to get the audience’s attention. The play also pays some homage to some older mystery story styles.

“It goes from the 20s to the 60s. Murder mysteries where the characters are in black and white. The hardened detective. The secret agent. A lot of different scenes,” says Christina Ordonez, one of the directors of the play.

Above all, come out and support your fellow Hawks in the production. As with most things, they put a lot of time and work into the show, and they are hopeful for a large, captivated audience on opening night.

“It (Done to Death) really shows humor to even the most sophisticated of people. Also, come out and support your classmates. One person can mean a lot,” said Ian McNaughton, an actor.

On one final note, to any interested in joining theater here’s a few words from some newcomers and graduating seniors on their experience with the program.

“I thought it would be more overwhelming. But it’s a really good experience, and I’m character-wise.” – Steffi Delgado, sophomore, first time acting at HEHS.

“It teaches a lot of things like life skills and it’s a lot of fun,” – Emily Hunt, freshman, second time acting.

“It’s pretty upsetting knowing I could’ve done more. It’s sad but exciting at the same time. Maybe I’ll find a new path in my life.”-Axel Estrada, Hoffman senior.

“It’s bittersweet. We learned so much. It’s like we’re done but we’re done.”-Matthew Sears, Hoffman senior.

“I’m glad to move on to bigger things. I’m going to miss this crazy family of theater.”- Roel Mendoza, Hoffman Senior.