HEHS to stand up to bullying, celebrate Spirit Day

Spirit Day promotes acceptance of the LGBTQ community and focuses on facing off against bullying.

Alyvia Moore, Staff Writer

In 2010, Spirit Day was created by one thoughtful teenager, Brittany McMillan. McMillan wanted to commemorate those who have lost their lives to suicide and to put an end to the battle with bullying.  After a series of suicides committed by LGBTQ youth in 2010, McMillan knew something needed to be done to help individuals who are struggling to find acceptance.

LGBTQ stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer and/or questioning individuals. With the help of GLAAD, Spirit Day was developed six years after McMillan began looking for change. The movement has the support of millions of people across the world.

HEHS students and staff also can help propel the movement forward. There are 38,593 people who have already committed to the movement and who have taken the pledge to Go Purple. There are even simpler ways to support this initiative by changing one’s profile picture and going purple on Twitter. To take the pledge or find another way to be a part of the movement, click here.

Over 55% of LGBTQ students do not feel safe going to school. It is time to bring that number down to ZERO. At Hoffman Estates High School, accepting differences is something students and staff strive for everyday. Wear purple on Spirit Day to show your acceptance for your LGBTQ peers.

There will be informational tables outside of the English office during all passing periods as well as one in the cafeteria during all lunch periods on Thursday.  Be sure to get a purple/rainbow ribbons as well as an informative handout.