HEHS staff and students bring the Halloween event to life

Cody Mui, Staff Writer

Last Thursday October 29, Hoffman High School once again hosted its annual Community Halloween Event.

Children from around the community were invited to participate in the event dressed up in their costumes.

Participating clubs and activities received part of the first floor to decorate and to fill with games for little kids to enjoy. A Halloween tradition at Hoffman, students worked hard to set up their games and decorate the halls.

Amidst live music, exciting games, haunted room, blind touch testing, and even face painting, the young ones enjoyed the event and the parents were excited to see their kids having fun. Children were engaged in the various games and got bucket-fulls of candy.

The event brought in children of ages ranging from toddler to elementary school age. The Community Halloween Event is one enjoyed by all. Teachers brought their children and high school students brought their siblings. There were even children who were not in the Hoffman Estates High School community.

The annual Halloween even is a joy to those working it as well as those participating in it. Below, participants describe what it is like to be a part of this event.

Why is your club/activity participating in this event?

“NHS and BPA are a big part of the school. They are representative of some academically strong, character strong students.” – BPA and NHS

“We like to help out the community and just helping out people, helping out children. It’s always nice to help the community and get to see the little kids have fun.” – Theater Guides and Dance

“The Forensics Team is an important event involving speaking many activities and overall by being able to speak, it really controls the world.” – Forensics

“We are really just trying to raise awareness that we are in fact a club because this is our first year of being a club. We’re also trying to get people to join. It’s a really fun, exciting club.” – Social Studies Club

“We’re just trying to make the event a better experience for the kids and we wanted to play a small part in it.” – Math Team

What do the people helping to run the event gain from it?

“We really don’t gain any material benefit from it. We’re just here because we want to spend some time with the kids and we want to make sure that the kids have a good time as well. I think that by itself is a benefit.” – Math Team

“Working together definitely and a schedule, trying to fit everything in a small amount of time.” – Senior Class Club

“We will get some experience interacting with younger children, teamwork, how to be a follower, even though they’re all really leaders because everybody is really good here.” – BPA and NHS

“It will really teach people to socialize with each other and really help the team get together and make a good difference and help our team become one rather than separate unities.” – Forensics

How does this event benefit the community?

“We want to show the little kids that music is a big part of our lives and that it can be really fun, entertaining, and educational at the same time.” – Orchestra

“This will benefit by them getting an experience of Hoffman High and how the school is and also that they could not be afraid of trick or treating. It’s just a good experience for them to have a good time with some friends but still be in a good place and not have their parents worry about them.” – Theater Guides and Dance

“They will experience something new. Each hallway has a different theme. Ours is hopscotch. We think that’s pretty fun.”- Senior Class Club

“We’re just a fun club trying to spread the word. We might drop some social studies facts, some dates, names, stuff for them to remember. But kids want candy.” – Social Studies Club