HEHS Homecoming Kick-Off Assembly – the Adventure to Our Emerald City

Just in case you missed last Friday’s assembly, here is a recap.

Jodee Capati, Staff Writer

Hoffman Estates High School ended the month of September by welcoming its very own Homecoming Week, with the theme of “Wizard of Oz” and a slogan of “There’s No Place Like Homecoming 2016.”

The September 30 Homecoming Kick-Off Assembly started off with Barry Jeong, Science Department, giving a warm welcome to all of the students in the gym. The singing of the National Anthem was followed and it was sung beautifully by Rebecca Fuscone, senior.

POMS and the HEHS Cheerleaders gave an outstanding performance by doing exciting stunts and dance moves, a great way to boost our Hawk Spirit.

Just as Jeong was talking, a mysterious voice came out of no where. It was a voice of a “wizard” demanding to share about his story or else, bad things will happen. He revealed two nominees as he told the story. Tilla Dillon as Dorothy and Natalie Nagrant as Toto. The wizard took a break, and gave Jeong the floor back. Jeong taught a new cheer, the Swerve.

The wise wizard continued his tale, introducing Jorge Morales as the tornado, Brian Wilkes as the house that fell on the Wicked Witch and Hanna Saubier as the Good Witch of the North. JV Skyhawks created a spectacular presentation afterwards.

The wizard once again, shared the story, announcing that William Fernandez is the Scarecrow, Peter Rivera is the Tin Man and Daniel Ham is the Cowardly Lion. (4 more nominees, the story will be complete!)

Two students, who performed at the Variety Show 2016, collaborated together to give us a superb violin and dance number, the violinist was Esmerelda Gutierrez and dancer was Gian Carlos Morel.

The interesting wizard identified that Oz is Amanda Batista and the Wicked Witch of the East is Arden Panek. He also announced that Ryan Greenwalt is the Wizard and Alexis Slayton is the Hot Air Balloon, making the wizard to end his story, sparing Jeong’s and the Hawks’ lives.

Jeong also explained what Spirit Week is and what it is all about. The last performance made was by our Special Ed Kids who danced to “Juju on the Beat”, making students go nuts.

Once again, the nominees were announced for another round of applause. To end the assembly, Hawks cheered on to the “Hawk Clap” and our band took us away by playing the HEHS Fight Song.

“Somewhere Over the Rainbow, skies are blue and the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.” – thank you Dorothy