HEHS community, students enjoy sweet treats for a great cause

October’s Cupcakes with Friends raises money to benefit special education programs such as Special Olympics and Best Buddies.

Jodee Capati, Lead Reporter

Ever get that weird craving for sweets? Yeah, me too! For those that craved cupcakes, HEHS hosted its annual Cupcakes with Friends event last month, and it was, indeed, a sweet success.

Cupcakes with Friends originated nine years ago at a local junior high. The event has been relocated to HEHS because of its rapid popularity in the community. Amy Olson, special education teacher, became its organizer ever since.

“Cupcakes with Friends and its profits benefit our special education programs such as Special Olympics and Best Buddies,” Olson said.

This event lasted from 11-2 p.m., and various cupcakes were on display, along with their descriptions. From the spooky “bleeding eyed” red velvet delights to those with swirls of cinnamon frosting atop pumpkin-spiced cupcakes, sweet lovers had a wide choice of what they’d want to take home with them.

“It’s such a great event to participate in, especially since it’s for a good cause,” said a local event-goer as she bought multiple cupcakes for her family.

Besides sampling cupcakes, attendees also had the opportunity to decorate their own cupcakes, participate in nail and face painting, watch Doug’s well-known domino presentation, and buy raffle tickets. There were twelve raffle prizes that were donated by local business shops and school clubs.

Not only did the HEHS Special Olympics members and coaches participate, but HEHS students volunteered as well. Students from Interact Club, PALS, POMS and Flags participated.

“The volunteers were absolutely amazing this year. I think this was the fastest that we have ever set up. Everyone worked as a team and had a lot of fun volunteering,” Olson said.

“We love to help out in any way we can. We never had a dull moment in helping out or even watching the event go through smoothly,” added Rama Hammad, vice president of Interact Club.