Hoffman students fix sights on fighting hunger

Alyse Leonard, Staff Writer

During the third week of October, Hoffman’s Global Awareness and Relief Organization club (GARO) raised funds for the charity, Action Against Hunger, in honor of World Food Day on October 16.

World Food Day was created in 1979 to celebrate the creation of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, known as (FAO). It was established on October 16, 1945 in Quebec, Canada and is dedicated to the widespread opportunity for nutritious, quality food. Organizations throughout North America have spread awareness of World Food Day through food drives, hunger walks, and other such food-related events.

GARO, this year, chose to raise its own awareness of this day by selling candy to the student body. GARO members sold over $300 worth of candy, and all proceeds went to the charity.

“One of our members suggested using awareness days and months for inspiration on what causes to work for. World Food Day was the most interesting of the events that came up around that time, because food has such an impact on our everyday lives,” said Carly Behm (’15), one of the club’s co-presidents.

According to the United Nation’s World Food Programme, around 805 million people around the world struggle with hunger.

“So many don’t have what we take for granted. This is what World Food Day stands for,” said Kaitie Vlasaty (’15), GARO’s other co-president.

GARO, originally started in 2012, is just getting started and has many exciting projects in store for Hoffman Estates in the coming days.

“We’re excited to be doing Red Hand Day again this year,” said Vlasaty in regard to these upcoming projects.

Red Hand Day, having been witnessed for three years here at Hoffman, is witnessed every February 12th around the world to spread awareness to the issue of child soldiers in hopes of action.

“Our next event will be raising money for Holt International, an adoption agency, who are celebrating National Adoption Month this November by raising money for orphanages around the world,” said Behm.

GARO is open to the community and would love input on any events worth covering. For any suggestions, contact them on Twitter at @hehsgaro.