Halloween fun fills HEHS hallways

Rylee Johnson, Staff Writer

Adorable, fun, and sweet are just three words that describe Hoffman’s annual community Halloween event. 

“Seeing all of the kids and their costumes and (hearing their) stories is so cute,” said Kirsten Coakley, English Department. “I think it’s a safe event where parents can bring their kids for fun and candy.”

“I think it’s nice that the kids can have nice memories of the high school they might go to in the future,” Coakley continued.

Every year on October 30th, different clubs and student volunteers  rally to put on a show for kids, aged 10 and under. 

From 4 – 6 p.m., children are escorted through a variety of game opportunities and activities where they are allowed to trick-or-treat. The games include Hopscotch, BOO-ling, and many others. The children were also given personal  booklets titled “My Halloween Story”, provided by Literary Magazine Club. 

“It’s really well organized. Ms. Ecker does a great job behind the scenes,” said Britany Westby, English teacher and Literary Magazine sponsor. “I truly love seeing  teachers out of their element and in school with their kids. I feel like it humanizes us.”

The teachers and students alike have fun preparing for this event. They all spend time decorating the halls with spooky decorations and setting up their own stations with handmade gravestones and pumpkins. 

This is an event that helps shine light on the fact that we are a community that has the opportunity to come together and embrace the Halloween season together. This special night is always filled with good times, fun games and loads of sweet sweet candy. For any parent or child in the Hoffman Estates community, it is an event worth attending.