Poms squad works hard, supports each other like family

Rylee Johnson, Staff Writer

Hoffman Estates High School’s Poms squad has worked hard this year and it shows. The team is a family, which has helped it to be successful this year.

“The coaches are great and I made so many friends,” said Annel Wipachit, sophomore. “It feels like a family.”

The team performed a coordinated dance to the movie The Incredibles in an assembly and on the football field, and both events brought a lot of energy to the crowd.

However, shaking Poms and synchronized jumps aren’t the only things to take note about. This team values the hard work that practicing requires. The team spends a great deal of time preparing for each of their events.

“It’s really fun and a good way to stay in shape,” said Stephani LePetri, sophomore.

“Every year is different,” which makes being on Poms fun and interesting, LePetri continued.

According to the HEHS website activities page, the Poms competitive dance team performs at all the home football and basketball games throughout the school year. In the summer, the competitive dance team attends a dance camp where they are taught technical skills and new choreography.

During the school year, the dance team performs routines which they choreograph to the school’s marching band, and to recorded music. See Coach Lindsey Komperda in the English Department for more information.