Hawkeye View

The student news site of Hoffman Estates High School

Hawkeye View

Hawkeye View

Follow Us on Twitter
Meet the Staff

Hello! My name is Carmen. I'm a freshman at HEHS and I am a staff writer for the Hawkeye View. In my free time, I love to read. I am an avid reader and I could read all day long without taking a break....

School spirit can create community

School spirit is often regarded as an important aspect of high school. Community is often built through organized efforts such as dress up days as well as spending time together cheering on sports teams.

“My favorite part about school spirit is the chants at sporting events. Regardless of which sport you’re attending, there’s bound to be different chants,” said Nikki Hubbard, Sophomore.

In all schools, school spirit can help bring students together. Cheering at football games, planning fun outfits with your friends, and supporting each other are all ways we can connect as a community.

“I think that school shouldn’t just be grades and learning, but a place where we can all make memorable experiences too,” said Kailey Whaleen, Sophomore. For school spirit to really soar, it takes students getting involved.

“The numbers of students participating in cheering, spirit days, and assemblies often varies in each type of event. Some spirit days have low involvement, while others have higher involvement,” said Chris Warren, student council member. Being a member of Blue Crew and attending games can be a great way to build school spirit.

Sometimes a reason students choose not to participate in a dress up day, for instance, is because they do not want to be the only one.  “If everyone’s not doing it, I don’t feel as comfortable doing it,” said Tiffany Burghelea, sophomore. 

Premeditated outfit plans are only one part of the total school spirit, but those days can be a fun way to get students to collaborate.

“I like being dressed up in the same clothing as my friends,” said Mylee Montgomery, sophomore.