Hawkeye View

The student news site of Hoffman Estates High School

Hawkeye View

Hawkeye View

Follow Us on Twitter
Meet the Staff

Hi! My name is Tiffany Burghelea, and I’m a sophomore. Besides being on the newspaper editorial team, some things I enjoy are my cats, traveling, and writing! Also, I am apart of SHO and yearbook. Eventually,...

HEHS girls golf team enjoys one of the best seasons to date

The sun is shining on a bright day, and you’re sitting on the golf course waiting for your turn, crossing your fingers that you will swing below par. The shot was going to be a challenging one, as the power and angle needed was strange, however, you were ready.

Everyday after school, you’ve gone with the team to practice, you put in so much hard work, and were waiting for this chance. Suddenly, as you clamp your hands on your club, you feel that your hands are clammy, and as you swing you realize you are going to miss it. You want to cry, shield yourself from shame, but before you do, your team pats your back, telling you you’ll get it next time and not to worry. 

The HEHS girls golf team is not all about hitting below par or winning the game, they are about keeping each other above the water and supporting each other however they can. 

“Having a team definitely helps. Uplifting teammates and getting affirmation if a hole didn’t go the best is helpful,” said Harmony Dalenburg, sophomore. 

Just like all sports, the day-to-day work it takes to improve skills can be challenging. In golf, motivation is a big factor. Golf is also a mental sport; holding your form correctly, figuring out the power needed and aiming your swing are all things you have to think about when playing. No matter how much practice you put in, something small can always affect where the ball goes. 

“Golf is a mental game, so it’s really easy to get demotivated if you aren’t playing so well. I tend to get frustrated  when something that usually works during practice starts to go wrong on the course,” said Anvita Vinu, sophomore. 

Experienced players on the team such as Madi Schoewe, a senior, have seen themselves evolve as golfers.

“Some of the positives I’ve experienced in golf were seeing myself grow within my scores and skill, and creating real bonds and memories with other girls on the team,” said Schoewe, who has been on the team for three years. “We support each other by taking each other’s minds off of a bad shot and reminding ourselves to enjoy the sport.”

By going to places such as top golf or mini golf, the team has built bonds and trust with one another, allowing them to grow both as players and as individuals.

As a result, through all their teamwork, motivation, and dedication, the girls golf team has grown with their skills which has resulted in the best record in the last 10 years. Additionally, this season Erin Lim, a senior who placed 1st in four events this year, finished 13th at the Makray Memorial Golf Club MSL conference. She was one of the first conference medalists in over 10 years. 

“We are having one of our best seasons to date, though the season is quickly coming to a close. We play in arguably the best conference in the state, so picking up wins at the conference level can be very difficult to come by,” said Daniel Canace, head coach. “I’m very proud of what we’ve accomplished as a team this year, and it’s all due to the hard work that our girls have put in during the season.”