Hawkeye View

The student news site of Hoffman Estates High School

Hawkeye View

Hawkeye View

Follow Us on Twitter
Meet the Staff

Hey! My name is Gaby Antury, and I’m a sophomore. In addition to being a writer for the Hawkeye View newspaper, I am an avid reader and music listener. I’m very passionate about my pets, as well as...

Super swimmer

Sophomore Emily Latasiewicz closes in on breaking school record
Super+swimmer

Sophomore varsity swimmer Emily Latasiewicz is on her way to breaking historic school records. Latasiewicz competes in a multitude of swimming events for Hoffman Estates High School swim team: the 100-meter freestyle, 50-meter freestyle, 200-meter freestyle relay and the 400-meter freestyle relay.

During the 22-23 season Emily was just .01 of a second away from breaking the long-standing HEHS 200-meter freestyle record established in 1986. 

Her journey to success began seven years ago. “Competitive swimming was originally not my first choice in a sport. I was involved in soccer and gymnastics at the same time, and eventually chose swimming as a random hobby. I can genuinely say that I do not regret my decision,” said Latasiewicz. 

“Swimming has provided me with great friends and experiences, which continues to motivate me on a daily basis,” she continued.  

In any athlete’s journey, training plays a key role in maintaining a high standard of performance. Latasiewicz trains six days a week for two to three hours a day. 

She said that training is demanding both physically and mentally, which is why she tries to spend “…at least 30 minutes to 1 hour daily, focusing on just goal setting and visualization.” 

Latasiewicz believes mental training is critical and that “its value [is] just as important as physical practice, something many athletes tend to skip out on.”

Beyond her success, the backbone of her career lies in her supporters.

“I would have to say that my biggest supporters are my parents and coaches. I would not be able to have accomplished my goals or have gotten as far as I have without them,” she said.

She thanks her coaches for allowing her to “continue to make strides and have the ability to keep pushing (herself) to get better.” 

Emily’s presence on the team has had an impact on her fellow swimmers as well.

“She’s really dedicated to the sport and comes to every practice. She supports the team and she’s extremely fast. She’s almost broken many school records, on multiple occasions,” said Kyra Peyton, sophomore swimmer. 

“Just about every meet she’s there and she always swims very well. Her overall dedication to the sport is incredibly inspiring,” added Izhaar Syed, varsity manager. 

For anyone trying to achieve or excel in a sport as she has, Latasiewicz has this advice:

“Continue pushing [yourselves], especially in moments when one one else is watching. Everyone has rough days, but not everyone is able to use those days to their advantage,” she said. “Especially with swimming, taking a singular day off requires you to take at least two practices to get back to your normal tempo and pace. Therefore, even when you’re sick or tired or sore, getting 30% out of a practice is always better than zero.”