Metamorphoses offers interactive experience

The fall play, which opened last night, is set to entertain tonight and tomorrow.

Vanessa Garcia, Staff Writer

Change is the name of the game in the Theater Department’s Metamorphoses. This production intends to surprise all who step inside its myths.

It is not only the set or script language that makes Metamorphoses distinctive but also the involvement of the audience. The cast members are not restricted to the stage. The actors move around the audience, making everyone feel as if they’re living the Mythical stories.

“This is a movement heavy play. Because of that, we’re able to express how the scenes are,” said Ryan Mendoza, junior, who is a narrator in Metamorphoses.

Originally, the play was set in a huge pool, but this was going to be too tough to produce on a high school stage.

“We can’t do that here because of the way our stage is and it wouldn’t be safe. So we had to look at how to keep the ideas of what was created with the water and pool and make it our stage,” said Christina Ordonez, director.

The play not only has incorporated water but is primarily centered around nine different stories. In past plays, it would be centered around one plot. Metamorphoses is unique, nine story lines offered ranging from modern to the love-inspired poetic.

The scripts have proven to be difficult for the actors, but they are managing to bring the words to life.

“This is because people in theater are all passionate and excited to take on the challenge. There’s no pressure if you keep working at it and there are no people telling you it has to be perfect,” said Alice Gierczak, junior, who plays Hermes in Metamorphoses.

The play opened last night, Thursday, November 10, but there is time to check it out. The play runs through Saturday, November 12 and costs $7; freshmen students get in for free with a school ID.

“So whether it’s the movement of the water, the images, the movement of the actors, or movement from myth to myth, the idea of Metamorphoses is change,” said Ordonez.

So if you are a theater fanatic or someone interested in the uniqueness of the movement and change, then come join the cast and crew as they unfold the Greek Myths.