Hawkeye View

The student news site of Hoffman Estates High School

Hawkeye View

Hawkeye View

Follow Us on Twitter
Meet the Staff

My name is Charlotte Castelan, and I’m proud to be part of the Hawkeye View staff! I’m happy to say I’ve been a part of this club for all my four years at HEHS and hope to harness all the journalistic...

HEHS is home to passionate vocalists, who share their talent with all

Subia Fatima
Wilniya Washington sings her rendition of “Part of Your World” for HEHS students and staff.

During the talent show, the students discovered that the school is home to a number of gifted individuals, including a number of vocalists. In addition to talent, sharing it with others requires passion and confidence.

“The characteristics we look for [during tryouts] is confidence on stage, and of course the talent –   that [was] needed,” said Jason Stevens, one of the talent show sponsors.

While the auditions were taking place, the directors were looking for more than talent in those students. Directors were more interested in talent that could be embraced, portrayed with assurance, and with passion. 

Andre George, a freshman who decided to showcase his talent, was one of the performers. 

“I’ve always thought to myself that I have to perfect my craft and show people my talent,” said George.

This highlights the self-assurance and outgoing nature of some of these gifted students, who are not intimidated by the crowd. George sang “Don’t You Worry ‘Bout a Thing” by Stevie Wonder and was able to get the whole audience clapping along with him.

Andre George performs “Don’t You Worry ‘Bout a Thing” at this year’s Talent Show. Photo courtesy of Subia Fatima

Passion was a crucial quality that helped a performer build on their talent. One of the prime instances of passion lies with a sophomore named Wilniya Washington, who has built herself up around the idea of skill and the passion that goes along with it. 

“Singing makes me physically happy. Everyday I listen to music, it makes me happy and not one day goes without me singing,” said Washington.

Singing has always been a passion for Washington. She was happy to be given the chance to showcase her talent for the HEHS community. Washington sang “Part of Your World” from The Little Mermaid.