Football: A season in review

Rudra Patel, Staff Writer

The Hoffman Estates High School Football Team went into the playoffs against Benet Academy with high hopes. After a tough fight, HEHS lost to Benet 23-29. When asked about this game, the players said although they were upset about the lost, they were proud of the incredible achievements they had this season. They also said this loss had just made them hungrier to win and are even more motivated for next year to not only get back to playoffs, but also get far into the playoffs. They believe as long as they continue to work hard and play hard like they did this season then they will continue to make Hoffman proud. Seniors Daniel Banahan and Jorge Morales reflect on their final football season.

How would you describe this season?

Banahan: I would say this is the best season we had in a while at HEHS. This team is the best team I’ve been on and we always work hard to get to our goal.

Morales: This seasons has been a roller coaster that I do not want to get off of.

What have been some of your personal highlights / team highlights?

Banahan: The best highlight as a team was beating Schaumburg because once we knew we clinched the playoffs, we knew what we worked for all this time had paid off.

Morales: One of the biggest highlights I’ve had with the team was starting 4-0 this season and just bringing the vibe at Hoffman up.

Describe the feeling of making playoffs after twenty years of not making it.

Banahan: It was probably the best feeling I ever had because we finally did what we needed. It’s a feeling you’ll never forget and, when we get older, we will always tell the story of what happened.

Morales: Making the playoffs was not just for us but for the classes that came before us who worked hard but fell short. I’m just having a great ride; I can’t describe it clearly.

How does the team face challenges, especially those encountered during playoffs?

Banahan: We face adversity and, in order to overcome them, we just have to play harder and stronger.

Morales: Adversity is something we want to embrace and use to help us be better players. Because of [adversity] I can’t think of any challenges that will occur in the playoffs, but if they come up, we will be ready.

HEHS did face challenges, but the game against Benet was a close fight. The team ends the season feeling successful, having had the opportunity to compete in the playoffs.