Students, staff are in agreement: tardies are a problem

Andrew Kay, Staff Writer

Tardies are an issue for both students and teachers, but there could be a more effective way to deal with them.

“Students should be on time. They are the ones responsible to get to class on time,” said Chuck Pepe, a student supervisor. “A pass shouldn’t have to be sent to inform students they have a tardy.”

In the long-term, students will benefit from learning to take tardies seriously.

“It’s a learning process,” Pepe continued. “[Future jobs] aren’t going to inform you when you’re late for work. Therefore, students missing class time to be informed about tardiness is on them.”

Students receive passes to the attendance office for their tardies and miss class time. Students who receive five or more tardies receive lunch detention.

“Tardy passes and taking students out of class disrupt the flow of the class. I have at least one person tardy to my class every day,” said Nicole Brennan, science teacher. “If they’re a few seconds late I understand, but if they’re a few minutes late I mark them tardy since I have to tell them what they missed from the beginning of class.”

One staff member who preferred not to be named in the story offered a suggestion to the issue of being pulled out of class. Instead of giving students a pass to miss class, students could be informed via email. This way students would not have to miss any additional class.

Brennan offered another possible solution. “Teachers should tell students how many times they have been tardy. They could also receive notifications on Infinite Campus, an app that tracks the grades and attendance of the students,” said Brennan.

While students understand the importance of being on time, sometimes socializing gets in the way.

“Social responsibilities…I think hanging out in the hall with my friends just talking is what makes us tardy,” said Jonathan Lynch, senior. “But I don’t think it’s necessary to take students out of class just for them being late. It’s counterproductive.”

Michelle Diaz, sophomore, said tardiness makes her somewhat nervous. She has been tardy about five times in the past and has received a lunch detention.

“I’m often late to class because of gym, lunch, and Spanish, but it’s because I choose to be tardy,” said Diaz. “I don’t socialize much in the hall, but there isn’t much you can do if you’re running late.”