Learning on the block: a schedule that works

Miche Williams, Staff Writer

Block scheduling is known as the most efficient way to get through the day according to Hoffman Estates High School students.

Josh Schumacher, the principal of HEHS describes blocks as an opportunity for intervention between students and teachers in the classroom.

“Block scheduling helps students prepare for college because typically classes are longer and you don’t attend each class daily,” said Schumacher.

These are also some of the same reasons that students gave for why they like block scheduling as well.

Camaris Burton, freshman, said she sees it as positive because it’s easier to keep up with blocks, since classes are split in half and there is less homework assigned.

“I would choose blocks over regular scheduling  because there’s not a lot of homework most of it’s done in class,” Burton said.

While there are many reasons why block scheduling is useful, there are also ways that it can be improved in order to ensure that teachers get their full lessons taught fairly and in a decent amount of time, said Richard Riggle, a hall monitor. Riggle didn’t go to a school that had block scheduling; however, he feels that students don’t get to see their teachers as often at times depending on how the week is set up.

“If there is a day off from school one week some teachers won’t see their students for a few days, which doesn’t help with mind growth,” Riggle said.

This tends to be the same problem with students who take a foreign language. If there is a day during the week where students don’t have school, they miss out and only get to see their foreign language teacher once or twice a week which can be a struggle when learning a new language.

“There are certain weeks I only see students once or twice a week, which some students really who really struggle with learning a new language have to miss out and tend to feel more behind than other students,”  David Rodriguez, a foreign language teacher at Hoffman said.

Other schools in the district like Schaumburg High School are on an eight period day schedule. Kalynd Allen, a student at SHS, said she would prefer to have periods over blocks because with blocks sitting in class for an hour and a half would cause her to quickly lose interest in certain subjects since she has a short attention span.

“I like having 50 minute classes because it helps me stay more focused, even though we tend to get more homework; that’s better to me than falling asleep in class due to lack of interest and pure boredom,” Allen said.

Overall, Hoffman seems to be excelling as a whole, and most of it is thanks to block scheduling. Having blocks has helped with college adjustment and true academic success.