It doesn’t pay to cheat

When student choose to cheat, they choose to stop learning.

Santina Herrera, Staff Writer

Halfway throughout the test, you look around and you see a student looking at another students test copying their answers. You keep taking the test so you can finish and not worry about the student cheating because the teacher might walk around and notice that a student is copying their answers on the test.

Tyler Scheidt a sophomore at Hoffman Estates High School feels like if he saw a cheater he would not tell a teacher about the person who is cheating. “I wouldn’t snitch and I don’t want the cheater to get a better grade than me I would tell the teacher,” Scheidt said. He would not tell the teacher until after the test is over so the teacher knows that when they have another test she knows who to keep an eye on while the students take the test.

A student who saw a cheater would tell a teacher so they can stop cheating and looking at someone else’s test to get the answers. If they look at someone else’s test, the person they are copying from could have the wrong answers and they are just copying all the wrong answers.

Jacob Boomgarden a sophomore at Hoffman Estates High School says if he saw a cheater that he would tell the teacher but do not tell the cheater who told on them. “Tell the teacher but ask the teacher to not mention your name to the cheater,” said Boomgarden. If the cheater knew that, you told the teacher on them they would probably get mad at you and you do not want that to happen.

Students who cheat on tests will not learn anything important when they have to take another test in that class. If it was a science test and they copy the answers of someone sitting next to them they will not learn anything from copying. They could get in trouble by their teacher and they would not notice the teacher standing next to their desk or behind them looking at them.

Cheaters will not learn anything that they need to know if they look at someone’s exam copying their answers. The teacher would be ashamed of the student cheating because the student probably gets good grades and if they copy answers from another student their grade might drop because of the grade they got on a test.

Students cheat when the teacher is not in the classroom or if the teachers back is turned away from the class because they are writing something important on the board and the student would not know because they are copying answers from someone else.

The teacher would probably email the student and let them know or speak to them in person and tell them that they know they are cheating off someone else.

Students will not admit to their teachers that they cheat on tests. Teachers know when a student is lying or telling the truth by the way they speak or if they are nervous or not.

Teachers are smart on knowing if they have some cheaters in any of the classes that they teach. Even though students think that some teachers know if they are cheaters but teachers know by their grades or by the answers they put on tests. Cheating will stay with students until they stop or if they find a way to stop cheating and copying answers.

Cheaters need to study on their own or ask a teacher if they can help them stop copying answers from another student.

Jennifer Winfield is a Geometry teacher who has seen a student looking on another students test because they are copying their answers even though the math might be easy to do. She would talk to the student who cheated. “I would discuss it with the student first, then the parent, and maybe the administrator to tell them that your student cheated on a test that was a big part of their grade, “ said Winfield

Matt Grossman is a sophomore at Hoffman Estates High School he says that a cheater will not learn anything from cheating off another person. They could get in trouble with the teacher and they will not be able to finish the test because the teacher would probably take their test and rip it up and give them a zero. Grossman said, “The student wouldn’t learn if they cheated because it isn’t their work. I have wondered that if a teacher caught someone and took the test away”.

Students who cheat will not learn anything and they will not get their own work done if they copy someone else’s answers. They can do their work on their own and turn in what they have to the teacher so they can grade it and you could see what grade you got.