Kick it with the Martial Arts Club and learn self-defense techniques

Susan Nadwornik

Christian Kanaga leads an afternoon practice for the Martial Arts Club.

Ryan Mendoza, Staff Writer

The new Martial Arts Club offers students an opportunity to get in shape while also learning self-defense techniques. This club allows an opportunity for students to learn a variety of fighting styles.

The club is all about safety but also getting out of your comfort zone, said Christian Kanaga, the president of the club.

Kanaga has four black belts in Kung Fu, Karate, Muay Thai, and Tae Kwon Do. English Teacher and Club Sponsor Marc Mantasoot and Kanaga teach the students. They demonstrate a move, and then they let the students try it out for themselves. Aside from Kanaga and Mantasoot, the club also plans to bring in instructors to help teach the lessons.

“Some kids look for a place to belong that isn’t a sports team or dramatic show or an art group,” said Mantasoot.

Almost all of the current members did not have knowledge of martial arts prior to joining the club. Those who did agree that it is a great way to build up and improve on what they already know. The students currently in the club unanimously agree that the club is amazing.

Goals for the club include making sure that students hone their strength and learn the techniques that they will need to help them defend themselves. Above all, though, they want to make sure the students have fun.

It is a great way to relieve stress after a long day at school, agree several of the club members. A lot of the people joined because they never had a chance to participate in a martial arts class outside of school. Plus it beats doing nothing at home.

A long-term goal for Kanaga and Mantasoot is to help the students advance beyond beginner level. While club members do not currently participate in any competitions, Kanaga and Mantasoot hope that might change in the future.