Humble Hometown Heroes

Crew dances its way onto The Ellen Show. HEHS Senior Nick DeLira talks about the beginning of The Future Kingz and earning a spot dancing backup for Chance the Rapper.

Alyvia Moore, Staff Writer

Justin Bieber, Drake, Usain Bolt, Bernie Sanders, and The Future Kingz. What do all these people have in common? They’ve all been guests on the talk-variety show the world knows as The Ellen Show.

For four years Nick DeLira, senior at Hoffman Estates High School, has been one of the eight dancers who makes up The Future Kingz.

Starting from merely nothing, The Future Kingz taught themselves choreography and began to build their success. DeLira gives a inside look on how The Future Kingz run their practices.

“We do stretching here and there, do some workouts of course, we learn new choreography and just vibe out to certain music,” he said.

This very work ethic is how a group of eight young men earned the opportunity of a lifetime. While performing at Chance the Rapper’s monthly Open Mike event, they were approached by the young rapper and would soon form a strong bond. Shortly after their meeting, The Future Kingz would perform with Chance the Rapper at The Chicago Theater as his opening act.

Their luck didn’t stop there. Several weeks ago, they performed on The Ellen Show alongside Chance. Originally set to perform a dance choreographed by the group, The Future Kingz instead showcased their improvisational skills after the rapper changed his mind on what he wanted the performance to look like.

The Future Kingz continue to seek opportunities to appeal to young people.

“[We] just want to inspire the youth because we essentially came from nothing to doing what we are doing right now,” said DeLira.

Inspiration is exactly what The Future Kingz offer their fans. The response from the community after they performed was overwhelmingly positive.

As far as achievements go, performing one’s passion on a show that receives four million viewers each day is something to be proud of. DeLira, and the rest of The Future Kingz, have much more in store for Hoffman and the world.

Follow The Future Kingz at Instagram to keep up with their successes.