National Honor Society seeks scholars, community-minded students

There is still time to become a part of this society. Applications for NHS are due Tuesday, September 12 by 3 p.m.

Cody Mui, Staff Writer

It has already been a month since school started, and that means that clubs and activities are also ready to get rolling. The Hoffman Estates Chapter of the National Honor Society is no exception.

First and foremost, NHS is looking forward to welcoming all new prospective members. Applications have already been sent out to students who qualify.

NHS is a club in which students must apply and be accepted into. It is a club that commends students who have demonstrated the four pillars of NHS: character, service, leadership, and scholarship.

“Don’t be afraid to apply,” said Jackie Folmar, current NHS president. “NHS is a wonderful club and it’s an honor to be a part of it, but it should not be intimidating. Simply show off the scholar, character, and commitment that took you so far already, and you will be fine.“

The second aspect of NHS is promoting community involvement. On an individual level, students are required to complete at least 20 hours of volunteering every year. On a larger scale, NHS hosts various fundraisers and events throughout the school year to raise money for various causes.

“NHS has traditionally done events like the dunk tank,” said Folmar, “but I’d love to have more activities just like it to raise money for the club or school, or for situations happening in the world like Hurricane Harvey.”

Starting Monday, September 11, members of NHS will be collecting money to raise money to help victims who have lost all possessions and even friends and family members to Hurricane Harvey in Texas.

“NHS is a very impact-oriented club; we try to serve our community as best as possible,” said Folmar.

NHS is ready to kick off the start of the school year with a fundraiser for victims across the country, and they are undoubtedly gearing up for more throughout the school year. While there have not yet been general meetings, NHS officers Jackie Folmar, Sarah Hashim, Ashwin Prabhu, and Megha Ramanathan have been meeting with NHS sponsers Kerri Largo and Todd Meador to plan for the new school year.

“I’m really excited for this year,” said Hashim. “With this year’s office, I can really see us accomplishing a lot.”