Interact Club promotes interaction, volunteerism

Interact Club volunteers at the Hawk Hustle on September 17.

Rabiya Salman, Staff Writer

​​Students​ ​at​ ​HEHS​ ​are​ ​making​ ​a​ ​tremendous​ ​difference​ ​to​ ​their​ ​community​ ​while​ ​they have​ ​fun​ ​and​ ​learn​ ​as​ ​while​ ​volunteering​ ​with​ ​the​ ​Interact​ ​Club.​

​The​ ​Interact​ ​Club​ ​is​ ​a​ Rotary Club-​sponsored organization that​ ​offers​ ​fun​ ​and​ ​meaningful​ ​service​ ​activities​ ​while providing​ ​the​ ​chance​ ​for​ ​students​ ​to​ ​develop​ ​important​ ​life​ ​skills,​ ​such​ ​as​ ​constructive leadership,​ ​time​ ​management,​ ​self-development,​ ​and​ ​personal​ ​finances.

“The​ ​overall​ ​purpose​ ​of​ ​the​ ​club​ ​is​ ​to​ ​provide​ ​opportunity​ ​for​ ​young​ ​people​ ​to​ ​work together​ ​in​ ​a​ ​world​ ​fellowship​ ​dedicated​ ​to​ ​service​ ​and​ ​international​ ​understanding,” said​ ​Maggie​ ​King, club sponsor.

The​ ​Interact​ ​Club​ ​is​ ​a​ ​fairly​ ​new​ ​club;​ ​Jim Britton, ​former​ ​principal,​ ​​was​ ​a​ ​member​ ​of​ ​the​  Hoffman/Schaumburg Rotary​ ​Club​ ​and​ ​decided​ ​to​ ​start​ ​an​ ​Interact​ ​Club​.​ ​​Britton​ ​asked​ ​King​ ​to​ ​be​ ​the​ ​club​ ​sponsor​ ​and​ ​introduced​ ​her​ ​to​ ​six​ ​student​ ​leaders​ ​that​ ​would​ ​lead the​ ​club.​ ​Together,​ ​they​ ​facilitated​ ​service​ ​projects ​and​ ​recruited​ ​new members.

Back​ ​in​ ​2015,​ ​there​ ​were​ ​only​ ​15​ ​active​ ​members.​ ​​ Today ​there​ ​are​ ​over​ ​70 students​ ​involved​ ​or​ ​interested​ ​in​ ​the​ ​club.​

“Interact​ ​started​ ​three​ ​years​ ​ago​ ​and​ ​I​ ​remember​ ​going​ ​to​ ​meetings with​ ​only​ ​a​ ​maximum​ ​of​ ​[maybe]​ ​10​ ​people.​ ​Now,​ ​we​ ​have​ ​a​ ​wide​ ​variety​ ​of​ ​students from​ ​freshmen​ ​to​ ​seniors,” said ​Dana​ ​Ong,​ ​senior​ ​and​ ​Interact​ ​Club president​.​

The​ ​group​ ​has​ ​gained​ ​popularity​ ​because​ ​it​ ​allows​ ​students​ ​to​ ​complete​ ​their​ ​volunteer hours​ ​for​ ​programs​ ​such​ ​as​ ​LCAP​ ​and​ ​Harper’s​ ​Promise.​ ​Even​ ​though​ ​students ​initially​ ​join with​ ​this​ ​intention,​ ​this​ ​idea​ ​soon​ ​fades​ ​away​ ​as​ ​they​ ​realize​ ​the​ ​many​ ​advantages​ ​there are​ ​when​ ​it​ ​comes​ ​to​ ​volunteering.​ ​After​ ​their​ ​hours​ ​are​ ​done,​ ​they​ ​continue​ ​to​ ​come​ ​to volunteer​ ​because​ ​they​ ​have​ ​so​ ​much​ ​fun,​ ​are​ ​able​ ​to​ ​help​ ​many​ ​people​ ​out,​ ​learn​ ​new skills,​ ​build​ ​memories,​ ​and​ ​prepare​ ​for​ ​the​ ​future.

“By​ ​being​ ​one​ ​of​ ​the​ ​leaders​ ​of​ ​Interact​ ​Club,​ ​it​ ​has​ ​helped​ ​me​ ​become​ ​more​ ​confident. Also,​ ​it​ ​helped​ ​me​ ​become​ ​more​ ​involved​ ​in​ ​the​ ​community,​ ​meet new​ ​people,​ ​create​ ​awesome​ ​experiences,​ ​and​ ​of​ ​course​ ​grow​ ​as​ ​a​ ​person,” said Fareeha Rahman, senior.​ “​But​ ​this couldn’t​ ​have​ ​happened​ ​if​ ​it​ ​weren’t​ ​for​ ​the​ ​people​ ​of​ ​Interact​ ​who​ ​came​ ​together​ ​for​ ​the betterment​ ​of​ ​the​ ​community.”​ ​

Interact​ ​is​ ​an​ ​unique​ ​volunteer​ ​club​ ​because​ ​the​ ​club​ ​provides​ ​opportunities​ ​for​ ​students to​ ​get​ ​ready​ ​for​ ​college;​ ​when​ ​it​ ​comes​ ​to​ ​college,​ ​colleges​ ​like​ ​to​ ​see​ ​that​ ​students​ ​are well​-rounded​ ​individuals​ ​who ​actively​ ​participate​ ​in​ ​their​ ​community​ ​and​ ​school.​ ​Also, since​ Rotary sponsors ​Interact​,​ ​at​ ​the​ ​end​ ​of​ ​the​ ​year,​ ​if​ ​a​ ​student​ ​demonstrates leadership​ ​skills,​ ​they​ ​have​ ​the​ ​chance​ ​of​ ​going​ ​to​ ​the​ ​RYLA​ ​conference​ ​to​ ​speak​ ​and meet​ ​with​ ​other​ ​leaders​ ​of​ ​the​ ​community.​ ​Members​ ​also​ ​have​ ​the​ ​opportunity​ ​to​ ​be chosen​ ​for​ ​the​ ​Rotary​ ​Youth​ ​Leadership​ ​Awards​ ​or​ ​be​ ​given​ ​possible​ ​scholarships​ ​from Rotary.

​“I​ ​believe​ ​that​ ​[after​ ​students​ ​help​ ​out​ ​with​ ​at​ ​least​ ​one​ ​activity],​ ​they continue​ ​to​ ​come​ ​to​ ​Interact​ ​and​ ​even​ ​bring​ ​their​ ​friends​ ​the​ ​next​ ​time​ ​they​ ​do​ ​come because​ ​the​ ​club​ ​feels​ ​like​ ​family,” said Ong.​ “​Students​ ​get​ ​to​ ​volunteer​ ​at​ ​school​ ​and​ ​in​ ​the community​ ​with​ ​their​ ​friends​ ​while​ ​having​ ​fun.​ ​To​ ​see​ ​that​ ​one​ ​was​ ​helping​ ​out​ ​in​ ​the community​ ​and​ ​that​ ​he​ ​or​ ​she​ ​was​ ​making​ ​a​ ​change​ ​is​ ​definitely​ ​something​ ​you​ ​can’t replace.”

​King​ ​said​ ​that​ ​many​ ​service​ ​projects​ ​will​ ​be​ ​put​ ​into​ ​effect​ ​this​ ​year​. The projects will be​ ​school- and​ ​community-based and will​ ​“emphasize​ ​acceptance​ ​of​ ​individual responsibility​ ​as​ ​the​ ​basis​ ​of​ ​personal​ ​success,​ ​community​ ​improvement,​ ​and​ ​group achievement.”

​So​ ​far​ ​this​ ​year,​ ​Interact​ ​Club​ ​has​ ​helped​ ​during​ ​Suicide​ ​Awareness and​ ​Prevention​ ​Week​ ​by​ ​making​ ​posters​ ​to​ ​put​ ​around​ ​the​ ​school,​ and members also ​worked​ ​the​ ​SOS table​ ​during​ ​lunch​ ​to​ ​pass​ ​out​ ​resources,​ ​pencils,​ ​and​ ​bracelets​ ​to​ ​other​ ​students.​ ​

The Interact Club also volunteers alongside the​ ​HELP​ ​committee. On September 17 club members helped prepare participant​ ​bags​ ​for​ ​the​ ​Homecoming​ ​Hustle.

​For​ ​the​ ​month​ ​of​ ​October,​ ​volunteers​ ​plan​ ​to​ raise​ ​money​ ​for​ ​Red Cross​ ​hurricane​ ​relief fund,​ ​volunteer​ ​at​ ​the​ ​Higgins​ ​Education​ ​Center​ ​twice​ ​a​ ​month​ ​to help​ ​with​ ​childcare,​ ​participate​ in ​or​ ​volunteer at​ ​the​ ​District​ ​211​ ​5K​ ​race,​ ​assist​ ​at​ ​the Higgins​ ​Education​ ​Center​ ​Trunk​ ​or​ ​Treat​ ​Event,​ ​and​ ​help​ ​out​ ​at​ ​the​ ​HEHS​ ​Cupcakes​ ​for a​ ​Cause.​ ​The​ ​club​ ​does​ ​have​ ​more​ ​events​ ​planned​ ​for​ ​this​ ​school​ ​year,​ ​as​ ​well​ ​as​ ​their biggest​ ​one:​ ​The​ ​Polar​ ​Plunge.​ ​ ​

“One​ ​[memory]​ ​that​ ​stood​ ​out​ ​to​ ​me​ ​the most​ ​would​ ​be​ ​the​ ​Polar​ ​Plunge.​ ​We​ ​raise​ ​money​ ​for​ ​Polar​ ​Plunge​ ​Illinois​ ​which supports​ ​Special​ ​Olympics.​ ​As​ ​a​ ​school​ ​we​ ​raised​ ​about​ ​$15,00​ ​or​ ​more, said Ong. “​Every February​ ​we​ ​would​ ​[plunge]​ ​into​ ​the​ ​freezing​ ​waters​ ​of​ ​Twin​ ​Lakes​ ​in​ ​Palatine.​ ​This​ ​was such​ ​a​ ​good​ ​experience​ ​because​ ​the​ ​members​ ​got​ ​to​ ​spend​ ​time​ ​with​ ​each​ ​other.”

Interactors​ ​are​ ​looking​ ​forward​ ​to​ ​the​ ​upcoming​ ​events​ ​that​ ​they​ ​will​ ​be​ ​doing​ ​soon because​ ​they​ ​enjoy​ ​working​ ​together​ ​as​ ​a​ ​group.​ ​

“As​ ​an​ ​active​ ​member​ ​of​ ​Interact,​ ​I feel​ ​happy​ ​to​ ​be​ ​so​ ​involved​ ​in​ ​our​ ​community.​ ​There​ ​is​ ​always​ ​a​ ​sense​ ​of​ ​joyfulness whenever​ ​we​ ​have​ ​our​ ​meetings​ ​and​ ​whenever​ ​the​ ​club​ ​volunteers​ ​at​ ​events,” said Alex Hwang, Interact Club Secretary. ​”These have​ ​been​ ​some​ ​of​ ​the​ ​best​ ​years​ ​of​ ​Interact;​ ​it’s​ ​awesome​ ​to​ ​see​ ​everybody​ ​just​ ​come together,​ ​devoting​ ​their​ ​time​ ​and​ ​efforts​ ​for​ ​a​ ​good​ ​cause.​ ​The​ ​experience​ ​is​ ​always​ ​fun and​ ​it’s​ ​something​ ​that​ ​makes​ ​me​ ​wake​ ​up​ ​in​ ​the​ ​morning​ ​and​ ​look​ ​forward​ ​to​ ​in​ ​my day.”​ ​

• Interact Club promotes interaction, volunteerism

News

Students’ guide to D211’s Career Expo

News

Photo story: the music that brings the musical to life

News

This year’s musical, Once on this Island, will engage and entertain

News

Hoffman’s BPA sets sights on advancing in competition

News

Early start time: real life preparation or harmful to student health?

News

Practicing towards perfection

People of HEHS

Seniors prepare for life beyond HEHS

News

Got stress?

People of HEHS

Social media can be used for positive, negative

News

HEHS students score front row seats at Hamilton