Students begin anticipating a new year, new norms

Courtesy of Pixabay.com

Anand Krishnan, Staff Writer

Last year was undoubtedly the most unique and unforgettable school year in recent times due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Regardless of whether or not students learned remotely or were in school for hybrid learning, the next school year will be a transition.

“I’m looking forward to meeting all of my friends again, spending time with them, and taking school a bit more lightly and having fun,” said Jin Lee, who will be a senior this year.

The 2021-22 school year promises to return to the old ways, with students and teachers in school, full-length school days, lunch in the cafeteria, and after school activities and sports.

Sourya Sappa, who also will be a senior this year, is looking forward to returning to Hoffman, and feels optimistic about his final year of high school.

“I’m looking forward to AP Calculus BC because I like math a lot. It’s one of my favorite subjects,” he said. “Going back in person will make math even better because you can ask your classmates and teachers for help when you don’t understand something.”

Sappa said he missed the classroom atmosphere in general when attending school from home. “I missed meeting all of my friends and everybody in the school in general, because when you’re at home you’re just in your room the whole time and it gets boring.”

The transition from remote learning to in-person is not without its challenges, however. “I would have to get used to the regular school day ending at 2:45 p.m. since remote school days were shorter,” said Sappa. “I have to get more sleep and have more energy in general so that I don’t get burned out.”

This transition will be especially difficult for incoming freshmen, who will be coming into a new learning environment after a year of virtual junior high school.

“I am taking summer school, which is helping me adjust to the high school standard of work (note-taking, essays, etc.) and communication with teachers,” said Ananya Krishnan, an incoming freshman, when asked how she is preparing for high school.

There is a general feeling of optimism in the air that this coming school year will be better than the last.

“What I realized from last year was that having a quiet place to work is really important so you can study and get your work done. It was hard to concentrate at home because of the noise in my home,” said Lee.