To the Class of 2025: You got this!

Courtesy of Pixabay.com

Nivedhaa Naresh Kumar, Staff Writer

As the first day of a new school year approaches, there often is a mixture of emotions. Some feel that summer break blew by too fast while others are looking forward to returning to the structure and rigidity that school provides.

The 2021-22 school year will look different than the last year, as students and staff go back to full-length school days and say goodbye to Zoom connectivity issues. For incoming freshmen – the Class of 2025 – everything will be new. As older students have learned, while there will be challenges there also will be new learning opportunities that can be rewarding.

“I felt very anxious and was worried about messing up and not being able to find my classes on time [when I was new to HEHS],” said Karlee Hendricks, junior. Despite her fears, she was able to find her classes easily with the help of the many teachers and staff present.

With the added help of staff and teachers, new students to the school can expect to experience their first year of high school regularly. The variety of clubs, sports and activities that will be back in-person will also add to this new normalcy.

“Put yourself out there,” said Rachel Wickey, sophomore. “Even if your friends aren’t doing something, try to branch out and do new things because you never know what you will enjoy in these next four years.”

“Join clubs that spark your interest and ask teachers to find clubs you may not even know exist,” Hendricks added. “Consider joining a new sport, even if you think you won’t be good. All levels are welcome most of the time.”

The change of academic workload and social environment can be challenging for some, especially incoming freshmen. Karthic, Wickey, and Hendricks think back to when they were freshmen and offer a few pieces of advice.

Sruthi Karthic, senior, said she, at first, was overwhelmed when entering high school, believing that it “would be like Mean Girls.” She learned that “it doesn’t matter how many friends you have as long as you think they’ll be there for you in the long run.”

Wickey agrees and adds this: “Always stay organized and on top of your work; falling behind will be detrimental. Always reach out if you need to talk to someone.”

“Try to be social, ask questions, and attend as many school events as possible because you never know when it could be taken from you.” Hendricks said. “Don’t isolate yourself; people are there for you in school.”