HEHS starts first majorette dance team in D211

“I’m looking forward to the new bonds being made on the team,” said Valencia Buchanan, sophomore.

Maddy Bell, Staff Writer

Hoffman Estates High School is making history by starting the first majorette dance team in District 211.

“We’re creating new outlooks and opening doors for other schools,” said Susan Buck, assistant coach.

Majorette dancing is a routine which combines a variety of different genres of dance including West African, jazz, modern, and hip-hop choreography. Majorette-style dancing originated at historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs).

Although some nervousness exists by being the first majorette team in the district, the girls of Orange Krush express that they feel a greater sense of excitement and pride which overpowers any fear.

“I’m excited to be creative, learn new skills, and bond with the girls,” said Tamaria Sims, sophomore.

A majorette performance involves lots of energy and should portray a sense of personality through dance. For the girls on the team, it provides them an opportunity to express themselves creatively.

“Dancing allows the girls to be free,” said Eboni Jackson, head coach.

The team connected quickly and has begun to form a family-like environment, despite the fact that the majority of them hadn’t known each other before joining majorettes.

As for what the upcoming season looks like for the majorettes, they will be performing during basketball games, in the dance show, and in the multicultural show. Being involved with the majorette team requires commitment, dedication, and effort.

“I’m very excited for the season and love the energy that the team brings,” said Jer’Kyrah Stone,
junior.