App review: educational apps finding a home at Hoffman

Harpreet Auby, Staff Writer

Students are finding more and more academic apps to use towards their education than using apps for their own recreation because they are realizing these apps will help them improve important skills that will be used in high school and in real life.

Marc Mantasoot, English teacher, recommends freerice.com because it, “earns grains of rice for needy countries for every vocabulary question you get right.” This is a great learning tool as well as a great way to give back to people in need. He also recommends daily grammar, which has grammar lessons aimed at improving your grammar skills.

Mantasoot also recommends Google Drive because it has great academic advantages.

Multiple people can edit the same document at a the same time. The apps Google Docs, Google Slides, and Google Sheets are bundled in the same group as Drive because these apps are needed to do the specific functions of Drive; Docs (Word Processor), Sheets (Spreadsheets), and Slides (powerpoints).

However, no matter what format students use, everything will show up on Google Drive, so it’s all in one place. This is super helpful for group projects that if they can’t be completed at school so they can be done at home, or anywhere with an internet

“Notability has helped me a lot in my classes,” says Cindy Aguilera (’17). Aguilera prefers Notability over taking paper notes because the ease of keeping track of them is better than with paper. Notability has many awesome features which makes it one of the best note taking apps.

“Quizlet is good for foreign language learning, and for classes that require a lot of memorization, such as AP European History,” said Barathkumar Baskran (‘16). This app is very helpful with is various aspects such as learner, various games, and a test option.

“Quizlet is very open in a sense that it allows you to make up your own flash cards, and then it has interactive activities that help you memorize and learn your topic,” says Miraj Shah (’17). This app is a great, efficient way to study.

“In my opinion Duolingo is the best program and the best application for language learnin. It has helped me pick up some Portuguese and Italian,” said Shreyas Gandlur (’16). Duolingo is a fun way to learn new languages like Spanish or French. It’s easy-to-use interface provides helpful ways to start learning a language.

Another app that is recommend is Khan Academy, said Alyse Leonard (‘16). “It helped me pass calculus,” said Leonard.

Khan Academy offers many lessons for free, having lessons for many subjects like Science, History, and Math. It has videos that give a lot of understanding about the topics.

MyHomework is also a helpful app. “I think it is very efficient in that everything is in one place, and because of this it is easier to remember all my assignments because of reminders that you can set, ” said Kiran Auby (’18).

MyHomework provides an all-in-one Homework planner that is very useful where you can set up ADays and BDays and have reminders according to the format of the day. It also is customizable with different themes.

There are thousands of more apps that are still waiting to be discovered. More and more of these apps will be reviewed throughout the year.