Being drum major is one major responsibility

Ryan Mendoza, Staff Writer

Whether it be leading the band in spirit-lifting songs or leading them down the field, the role of drum major is a job that requires time and skill.

Michael Gates not only practices his craft at school, but he makes an extra effort to practice during his free time.

“I watch a lot of film on past drum majors. I had to make my own style. I had to learn how to conduct,” he said. “I have to self-assess myself on how I do to make myself a better leader.” He explained that being a good musician does play a role.

Robert Erikson, HEHS’ band director, explained what he looks for when he chooses a drum major.

“There are three characteristics that stand out. 1. Are they a good musician? 2. Are they respected by their classmates? 3. Do they have good communication skills?”

The role as drum major does conflict with sports and sometimes school work. “You have to be free during the fall sports season. It is hard to commit to both the sport and the band,” said Gates. When it comes to homework, one has to manage his time better. Students have to prepare themselves to lead.

Gates said the job makes him nervous when it comes to interacting with large crowds.

“I do not usually talk in front of people a lot. I try to avoid talking in front of a big crowd, but I need to try to get used to that,” he said.

“There is little preparation before (a march) other than getting into the mindset of being the lead. I remind myself that I don’t need to be afraid of standing in front of everyone. We are all here to have fun.”

Being a drum major is fun, but it also requires a lot of responsibility, said Erickson.

“I think it is a growth process. When they’re in front of their classmates, it is intimidating. But the responsibility of marching band is not as great or intense. We don’t expect them to know everything; we let them grow comfortable with their responsibility,” he said.