Class clubs offer an opportunity to be a part of the action

Barathkumar Baskaran and Shreyas Gandlur, Staff Writers

Class Clubs organize some of the school’s most prominent events from prom to homecoming decorations to even playing a presence in the community. However each club plays its own role at HEHS.

Freshman Class Club

Sponsors: Kelly A. O’Connor, Kerri Largo

Events Organized: “We participate in the community halloween event and homecoming decorations, they get pretty time consuming. There are usually 40-70 kids at the hallway decorations, and we also participate in student-dictated events”

Most Memorable Event: Halloween Event,”there are around forty to seventy kids showing, peers embracing the same goal.”

Average Attendance: 30-40 people, “it’s an open club, people attend whenever they can.”

Reasons for joining: “People join because they are new to the school, and they get to know kids of their own age. It makes them feel more comfortable”

Comments by the sponsors: “We would like to see more freshman, who are always welcome. We loves doing Freshman class club, and the kids are great.”

Sophomore Class Club

Sponsors: Maureen S. Marienthal, Maureen Mann

Events Organized:”We do the community Halloween event, and the hallway decorations. Sophomore Class Club also organizes the holiday candy-grams and we help with the class rings. The club also does student run fundraisers, including a previous fundraiser when they sold styluses.”

Average Attendance: “around 20 people”

Reasons for joining:

Comments by the Sponsors: “It’s a club where you don’t need a specific interest to participate, and it’s great for people who are uncertain about which club to join.”

Junior Class Club

Sponsors: Jennifer Carlson and Kimberly Ryon

President: Jessi James

Vice-President: Molly Rustay

Secretary: Valerie Olsen

Events organized: “The club participates in the Homecoming hallway decorations and the community trick or treat, along with helping in the Holiday food drive, prom, and a Valentine’s Day fundraiser.

Most Memorable Event: “Prom has got to be the biggest event the club organizes, and a lot of kids join just to take part in that.”

Average Attendance: “There are usually 20-30 people at the meetings, but there are 30-40 members in the club.”

Reasons for joining: “People join to organize prom, and as Juniors they realize they’ll need diversity in their college applications”

Comments by the sponsor: “It’s a very open-ended forum, and a low-key way to get involved. You can join anytime”

Senior Class Club

Sponsors: Scott B. Hoeft, Tera L. Andel, Michelle Stephens

President: Karishma Patel

Vice President: Adylene Herrera

Senior Luncheon Coordinator: Samantha Hernandez

Senior Apparel Coordinator: Diana Benitez

Events Organized: “We annually organize or participate in the senior luncheon, the homecoming hallway decorations,the halloween trick or treat, and the senior panorama, along with designing apparel for the club itself.”

Most Memorable Event: “That’s the senior luncheon, it’s outside the school, and it’s a great farewell event and a nice social event.”

Average Attendance: “around 18-20 people this year”

Reasons for Joining: “People join because they’ve been a part of other class clubs, or they just want to spend time with other seniors.”

Comments by the Sponsor: “People are always welcome to join, and help us organize these events.”