NHS’ first-ever “Pies 4 Smiles” is a huge success

Jodee Capati, Lead Reporter

For the past few years, National Honor Society chooses to host its “Dunk Tank” fundraiser for a specific purpose. This year, NHS chose to create a “Pies 4 Smiles” fundraiser, where four teachers were nominated to get “pied” in their faces by selected students.

“We kind of collaborated to see [what we could] do for our Hawks Nest Fundraiser,” said Kate Mongold, NHS President.

Although sixteen teachers were nominated, NHS used “brackets” to reveal the “Final Four.” Students got to purchase a ticket for 25 cents and vote for which teacher would get pied in the face.

NHS Volunteers spent their lunch blocks advertising the fundraiser and selling the tickets. Before spring break started, the votes were in, and the “Final Four” were Mark Ahn (English), Logan Nelson (Science), Jerry Lowrey (Band), and Eric Gdowski (Special Ed).

“It was amazing that the school came together, especially if it meant they could pie a teacher in the face,” said Anthony Navarette, NHS officer.

At the end of the Spring Involvement Assembly, all four teachers got pied with the help of cheers from the student body. However, Gdowski surprised the crowd with a surprise announcement. He pledged to donate the same amount NHS has earned if he got to pie Kate Mongold in the face.

A check for $500 was donated to Phil’s Friends, a nonprofit organization providing support to those affected by cancer through care packages, cards, and visits. With most NHS members graduating this year, they believe that they have left a wonderful impact in the community.

“I am filled with gratitude that I will leave the school a greater, more connected place than when I entered it,” Navarette said.